10933 Jane St, Maple, ON L6A 1S1, Canada

2 County Ct Blvd Suite 400, Brampton, ON L6W 3W8

21 King Street West, 5th Floor, Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4W7

45 Sheppard Ave E Suite 100, Toronto, ON M2N 5W9, Canada

2 St. Clair Avenue West, 18th Floor, Toronto, Ontario M4V 1L5

  Can I move out of the city with my children immediately upon separation. Generally speaking, a parent is allowed to live where they wish with the children. Following separation, it is common for at least one parent to relocate to relatives, like a brother, sister or parent. Often these parties live out of town, quite the distance from the current habitual residence of the children. Aside from highly unusual circumstances, parents cannot be considered kidnappers of their children, and can relocate. T the main issue that arises is that by relocating it often effects the parenting time of the other parent. Relocation and mobility is a complex and often litigious area of family law. It is particularly complex when the parents were both active and shared the children’s responsibilities before separation.  It is important to obtain legal advice before making unilateral decisions that can affect your future custodial writes. If you are going through a separation, and relocation is an issue, feel free to call the Lawyers at Nussbaum Family Law for a phone to discuss this matter further.


Barry Nussbaum Start your case with us. It’s easy and free, and we’ll get back to you within 1 business day with more infomation on how we can help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *